With Labor Day just around the corner, we all know that cooler days are ahead for most of us. Transitioning your wardrobe from summer to fall could get expensive if you decide to ditch all of your summer clothes. But there’s no need to spend your whole paycheck trying to keep up with all of the new fashion trends. All you have to do is pair up a few fall must-haves with your summer collection to create a new look and transition into fall with style. Adding deeper colors, like burgundy, olive green and grey, mixing different textures like tweed and corduroy wearing leggings or tights and layering for warmth are a few ways that will allow for some of your summer clothes to stay around for another season without spending too much cash.
In an effort to help save you money, I’ve put together a quick guide for you with my 12 fall fashion essentials to help you transition your wardrobe from summer to fall. And the best part is that everything is under $50!
1. A Plaid Shirt: There’s nothing more classic for the fall season than a plaid print. From buffalo plaids, tartan plaids to plaids embellished with gems, there's an option for everyone this season. Pair your favorite plaid shirt with some boyfriend jeans for a casual look or with a pencil skirt for a stylish office ensemble.
2. A Cozy Cardigan: A cardigan is the perfect piece for layering all year long. You can wear it over a t-shirt or button-downed shirt or you can wear it under a blazer and warm winter coat. A cardigan a great alternative to a turtleneck or pullover style, especially in offices or buildings where you have no idea how cold it’s going to be.
3. A Sharp Blazer: Blazers are flattering on every size and shape. A classic black blazer is a smart investment as the temperatures start to get cooler. And since you'll wear it all the time allow yourself to splurge a little on the price for better quality. Pair it with a cute sundress or wear it over a white tank and jeans for a sophisticated yet sporty look that will take you into fall.
4. Faux Leather Jacket: A leather jacket is a fall must-have piece that you should defintely add to your wardrobe. You can create a basic look by adding a leather jacket to a t-shirt and skinny jeans. Or you can rock an edgy look by adding a leather jacket to a breezy sundress. A real leather jacket could get a little pricey, but there’s no need to fret. There are so many affordable faux leather jackets available this fall so you don’t need to break the bank.
5. Shirt Dress: Practical and versatile, the shirtdress is a classic and simple silhouette that will transition effortlessly from summer to fall. A shirtdress is so easy to wear and with the right accessories you can dress is up with a belt and some heels or dress it down by layering over some jeans.
6. Darkwashed Skinny Jeans: Most of us are wear white or light-washed denim over the summer, but as we transition to fall, it’s time to start wearing jeans in a darker wash. Darkwashed jeans work perfectly with lightweight sweaters, plaids and a leather jacket.
7. Leggings: Leggings are one of those fashion trends that return year after year, so get ready because you're going to continue seeing them everywhere. When it comes to styling your favorite pair, you can add it under a flowy dress or tunic and throw on a pair of heels or booties to create a spicy outfit.
8. Ankle Booties: An easy way to transition into fall is buying a pair of ankle booties. Grab a couple of neutral color booties to pair with jeans, dresses and skirt and extend the life of your wardrobe.
9. Choker Necklace: Chokers have made a come back from the 90’s and it’s a great way to tie in a new trend into your current wardrobe. There are so many price options out there likc $3 options from Forever 21 to $40 options at Shopbob. I also think this is something you can make yourself if you have a DIY spirit. In my opintion, there’s no need to spend too much on this trend, but I think it would be fun to try.
10. Oversized Scarf: Bundling up from fall through winter is vital in cities like New York City and Chicago and the best way to keep you warm is with an oversized or chunky scarf. This is the queintesstial fall fashion accessory!
11. The Saddle Bag: The saddle bag purse is the definitely the shape of the season. Team it up now with a fun maxi dress for the final days of summer and later in the fall with a shirt dress and some cute booties as the temperature drops.
12. Wool Hat: It’s almost time to toss the straw hat you’ve been wearing all summer aside and pick up a wool fedora! We all know that hats are perfect for the summer, but they also work great in cooler weather.
Linking up with these fabulous ladies:
Debonita of Elegantly Fashionable Classy Monday Blog Link Up
Lauren of Fizz and Frosting Mix It Mondays
Rachelle of Pink Sole #HowISummer Linkup
Catherine of Not Dressed as Lamb #iwillwearwhatilike Link Up